Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Job Round 7



Well it has happened again to me in my life: I have lost my job and will soon be unemployed.

For those of you who do not know me, I have had 6 jobs since I graduated from Illinois State University 10 years ago and my next job will be #7! Let me give you a quick synopsis of my work history...

I graduated from school and went to work for my brother as a Sales Representative selling mainly printing. We worked well together, along with his business partner at the time, for 2-1/2 years. Unfortunately, sales did not happen and they had to close-up the business. Then I answered an ad for a small company as a Sales Engineer selling solder for the electronics industry for what ended-up being the Midest Territory. I got very tired of all of the travelling, not to mention the fact that the company was downsizing, and I left for another job. That company ended-up reducing its sales force from 12 to 2, so if I had not left I would have been let go.

Then a friend of mine approached me about being a Business Development Rep for a company his friends started. So the timing was great and I worked for them for 2-1/2 years. They eventually gave me some lame excuse for letting me go without even giving me a warning or chance to produce some more sales. I was out of work for almost two months when when of my best friend's father helped me get a job for one year as an Account Executive for a company he did business with. Then a fantastic opportunity came up for me to work with a bigger company making more money as an Account Manager. A business associate of mine that worked there told me about the position, put in a good word for me, and I landed the job. I was their one year when they had to let me go for not producing. I was not surprised as they made numerous attempts to help me make some sales and gave me 3 months to make some thing happen. Unfortunately, with all of my hours of work and opportunities, things didn't work out.

At the same time I was being let-go by that company, a friend of 15 years was looking for someone to help him get his company up and running. So he hired me to be the Customer Service and Marketing Director. I have worked here for a year and a half and after he and his father putting 3 years and lots of money into the business, they have decided to close-up the business. I can't say that I was too surprised as sales have not been there and we just could not get things to work.

So now I am in the process of looking for another job. I should say I am looking for a place to work at for many years and make a long-term career out of. All things considered, I am in a good place because my friend and his father are going to give me a severance PLUS they are putting in contact with a head hunter that will help me find a job! I am being very pro-active on my part. To date, I have applied for 20 jobs and am registered on Monster.com and CareerBuilder.com. I check the want-ads and have told all of my friends and family to keep their eyes open for any openings at any companies they work for.

After much soul-searching, I am sure that I want to continue with my marketing experience and perhaps land a job that entails advertising. So far, I have had many companies contact me about sales for them, but I would like to focus on my marketing objective. My days of direct sales are about over, but I would not COMPLETELY rule it out if the opportunity was perfect. I do have a job interview for a position I am not really interested in, but am using the opportunity to get some interview experience.

God has a plan for me and I may not know what it is, but he as taken care of me thus far, so I have no reason to believe he will let me down now. I will keep you posted as events allow.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Mc. said...

Maybe you could start looking outside the box like funearal director, cruise ship activity director or ice cream tester. (The last one sounds better than it really is.)

11:44 AM  
Blogger Looney73 said...

I wouldn't be caught DEAD as a funeral director and I'd get licked as an ice cream tester...

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home