Thursday, October 12, 2006

Job Search Part II


It has been somewhere around 7-8 weeks since I found out my fate at my present company and still no job to speak of.
Since work is so slow in the office, shutting down the business, I spend 4-5 hours a day looking for a job. I have resumes posted on about 7-8 websites, including Monster.com and CareerBuilder.com. To top it all off, I have submitted my resume to over 95 postings I have seen on these sites! Ninety-five, can you believe that?!
Well, I have had a few interviews during this time. The first was for sales position that was cleverly disguised as a "Marketing Representative" position. I also had an interview with company that sold health insurance to small businesses and people who work for themselves. This position entailed working on a 100% commission basis and they had you sell and do some marketing while working for yourself with qualified leads that they gave you and you generated through your marketing efforts. Needless to say, they wanted you to go out and spend your money and sell their services and after all of your hardwork, you might get a commission after all of your work and they risk little. Not a great opportunity, though it was tempting and I spoke to several people about this, including my wife, my brother (who is a successful businessman with his own company), and my brother's friend who sold insurance.
So I did have a GREAT interview with a company that is involved with home delivery. I went into this interview not knowing much about the company nor anything about the position. This nice lady from HR sat me down, asked some questions that I feel I answered really well, and explained the company to me. I liked the position because it entailed me combining my sales and marketing experience. I liked the company because it is growing and is hiring for this position because they have come over-burdened with business! Furthermore, I like the philosophies of the company, like business casual attire and casual day on Mondays and Fridays. Everything about this position looked great.
Well I spoke to my contact a week after the interview because she said that I should hear from her within a week and I did not get a call from her. She said that the job had been put on hold, but that she if she were a betting woman, that she is sure they are going to hire someone for it in the next couple of weeks as the position has needed to be filled for several months. The best part: she said that of everyone she interviewed for the position, she referred ME for the job! I know she interviews all day and that it wasn't like I was the only person she did interview. In fact she mentioned during the interview that she did interview one person with a Masters in Marketing. She said to wait a couple of weeks and contact the person in charge of that department.
I waited a week, then mailed my new contact a letter explaining my interest in the position and that I would follow-up in a week. This past Tuesday I left a voicemail for this contact and have not heard back. I have it written on my calendar to call him again on Monday.
In the interim, I had a phone interview with another company on Tuesday. I submitted my resume to them for a General Manager position for a new office they are looking to open soon. This interview went equally well and liked the guy I interviewed with. The company has a great future and some very interesting positions it is hiring for. Although I was not quite qualified for the General Manager's job, one of the other positions is Sales, which I have said all along that I would only go back to Sales if the opportunity were almost perfect. This position could fit my criteria for almost perfect.
This morning, I got a call from a transportation company who saw my resume posted on a job website. They said they also have a few positions open and would like to interview me to see if a fit may be there. I know a little about this company, as it was one of my competitors when I was in Transportation Sales. So I set-up an interview for tomorrow morning (Friday morning).
Needless to say, after almost two months, I do not have a job that I will be starting immediately, but I have a couple of leads. God is REALLY testing my patience and I am not doing too well as I am starting to run out of steam. I know he has a plan for me and am trying to keep this in mind as I go through all of this. I know things could certainly be a lot worse for me and am also keeping that in mind as well.
So I will keep you posted and let you know more details as events warrant!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home