Friday, March 10, 2006

Fast Food and Eating Habits

Lately, I have found myself eating more fast food than normal. I bring lunch to work 1-2 days a week, then but lunch out the other days. I try to eat healthy most days and every once in awhile I slip something a little less healthy in.
I will give you a for instance: On Monday, I brought my lunch and on Tuesday I ate Taco Bell. Wednesday I went to Dominick's and had a salad and yesterday I had a Roast Beef sandwich with soup from Subway. See how I mix the bad with the good?If it is not my lunch choices, I will eat crap in-between meals like crackers, chips, or candy after a meal.
I am actually in fairly good shape and do not LOOK too bad. I have developed a little gut, like everyone else on this planet, but it does not stand-out. The most noticeable area where people can tell that I have gained weight is in my face. It balloons and makes me look a lot bigger than I am.
So back to this whole fast food thing. A lot of fast food places have some decent healthier alternatives. For instance, McDonald's a year or two ago came out with some great salads that are not only healthy, but tast good too. My preference is the California Cobb salad with Crispy Chicken (only 9 points if you are on the Weight Watchers Diet). A Boston Market 1/4 Chicken with steamed veggies, corn bread, and diet pop is only 8 points....that is a lot of food for only 8 points! Subway is really a dieters paradise because one has so many options. You can get a sandwich, a salad, soup, etc. If you get a sandwich, you can get no condiments or lots of condiments. Load-up on veggies and not only do you feel full, but you are eating healthy foods that will help nourish and rebuild your body.
The problem with all of this: even healthy, good tasting food can get boring, at least as far as my taste buds are concerned. I can only eat Subway so often and I can not eat a McDonald's California Cobb Salad everyday. Yes, I do allow myself a cheat day in which I don't care what I eat or how much I eat. However, my cheat days are turning into cheat moments or cheat meals on a more consistent basis. Throw in the fact that I am a compulsive person and you can see where my dilemna occurs.
I trully believe in the adage that we should "eat to live" and not "live to eat". It always helps me get motivated when family and friends tell me that they are dieting and have lost weight. They are good influences on me. Ultimately, I am responsible for my own actions, but being around others who act the way I want to act only encourages good behavior. I have admit that a good part of my struggle comes from my feelings and emotions. That is why my being a compulsive person does not help matters.
Once I address this and change my character defects that are allowing me to make bad food choices, I know that I will eat better and live happier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home