Wednesday, October 18, 2006

GOT A JOB!!!



I am very happy to report that as of this morning (Wednesday October 18, 2006), I accepted an offer to work! Fortunately, I will not look anywhere like the guy in the picture to the left.

On Friday October 13 (Yes, Friday the 13th), I had a great interview with transportation company in the Western Suburbs of Chicago. The person in charge of the department I was applying for was a rather jolly guy with a great sense of humor and he had two younger people, about my age, sit-in on the interview. They asked some good questions and supplied a wealth of information about the company. I had heard about this company in my past transportation jobs as they were a competitor.

Some of the things that impressed me were: 1) the owner of the company has an open door policy that any employee can walk in and talk to him about anything at anytime, 2) the owner still comes in everyday at 8:00am and works a full day, 3) they are a very family orientated company that has barbeques, picnics, and holiday parties, 4) they are growing by 20% every year, 5) this growth will provide tremendous opportunities for advancement, 6) everyone dresses BUSINESS FORMAL Monday through Thursday and Casual on Friday (they provide a professional atmosphere and pay attention to image), and 7) they make all potential employees go through a drug test.

The position I will be working is a multi-dimensional job where I will be wearing several hats including Collections (Account Receivable), Claims, Credit, Customer Service, Pricing, and Tracking/Tracing. This will play well to my background and will allow everyday to be a different day, rather than doing the same thing over and over everyday. It will take a little time to get use to the business formal dress code as I have been use to wearing jeans and such at my present job.

My last day at my present company, which is shutting d0wn, is this Friday October 20 and I will be starting my new job on Monday October 30. This is VERY good for me as I will have a week off to get some stuff done and relax a little after two months of hard job search. Also, I will not be elligible for vacation until January of 2008! I am happy that they will be giving me 2 weeks then, but in the meantime, if I want to take a day off, they will give it to me, only unpaid.

So I am very grateful to God for blessing me with this opportunity and am also happy to have this job search finally over! I hope that you will not be reading about my next employment again as I intend to make a career at this job opportuniy and do not want to go through unemployment again!

1 Comments:

Blogger John Mc. said...

Congrats on the new job, man! I know how you feel. I hope that you are enjoying every minute of it.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home