Tuesday, December 27, 2005

My Aunt and Uncle - Jokes and All

Yesterday, we celebrated Christmas with my mom's side of the family. Her side consists of my Aunt Lil and my Uncle Bill along with my cousins Tony and Mary. The rest of the family all lives out on the West Coast in Washington. We met at my parents house along with all of my siblings and their kids. Needless to say it was a VERY busy, but memorable afternoon.
My aunt and uncle have got to be two of the most likeable people you will ever meet. They always have smiles on their faces and you would never know the hard lives they live. My uncle has been out of work for 2 years and all he has ever known his life is manufacturing. Needless to say, at 62, who is going to hire a man his age when in their eyes he is probable going to retire soon AND they can hire a young person who will work for less money? I don't know how they are making ends meet, but I know my mother and father have been very generous in trying to help them out.
Uncle Bill has had the worst luck of anyone I know. He has worked for 5 different companies and each time he has lost his job it has been because the plant he worked for closed. His work records are spotless as he always got to work early, left late, and never had a bad review. Now at 62, he has been forced to find a part-time job working for Catholic Charities where he will be paid just over minimum wage. I was able to find him a job, but unfortunately it was seasonal work and they laid-off 65% of their workforce once the season was over.
As I mentioned, Aunt Lil and Uncle Bill never complain about anything and just seem to get through whatever crisis is sent to them. Uncle Bill likes to tell these corny jokes, but you can't help but laugh at them because, well, Uncle Bill told them! Aunt Lil also has a tremendous sense-of-humor and is very good at telling stories. I love to listen to her tell one because she does not leave out any details, nor does she tell TOO MANY details. I think it is their humor that helps them so much during their times of trial.
I am sure we all know people like my Aunt and Uncle. They make me think different about my own life and remind me that life is too short to worry about small things. So many times I feel myself start to feel sorry for myself, then I think about the example they have set. As far as I am concerned, they are the true unsung heroes in this world.
Please feel free to share any similar stories about the quiet heroes in your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home